Digital Pianos

Duane Graves
I was just wondering if anyone thinks that the Digital Piano has come of age and is being purchased more than the Acoustic Piano these days. In your experience as piano tuners would you say this is an accurate statement? Also, do you see a decline in your tuning business and perhaps this is the reason? What is your experience with this? Thanks, Duane.

Re: Digital Pianos

Howard Piano Industries
Administrator
I personally don't feel like there is an increase of digital pianos replacing the acoustics.  There are instances where someone may decide on a digital piano over an acoustic piano, but I don't think at this point it is a growing trend.  I think maybe 15 or 20 years ago it was a growing trend, but I think most people realize the benefits of an acoustic instrument over a digital piano.  I think overall the amount of tuning and repair work available is going to increase as there are many older technicians that will soon be retiring and there are few younger people getting into the profession.  Obviously this varies based on what area you're in, but it seems to me that this is the trend.  The last statistic I heard was that the average age of a piano technician right now is 60!  This means that a great percentage of technicians are near the retirement age, whatever retirement means for a piano technician. :)

Re: Digital Pianos

jstrausss
I thought for a long time that digital pianos were really coming along with sounding just like acoustic ones. I played a digital one for years. A good one for its time and then I got my very own acoustic piano and boy was  I wrong. Its hard to tell when you listen to them separately but when you have both in one house you just understand that there is more to a piano then just sound. Its like acoustic drums to digital drums. Hard to explain why but there is so much more to playing an acoustic instrument. If people pay more attention to that then acoustic will always be the better way to go and will never be replaced.

Re: Digital Pianos

Andrew Baker
There's still a big different depending on you digital piano setup.

I know that Ravenscroft presented their Concert grand next to their digital version on NAMM 2015:

Maybe it won't take long before digital is the new standard.